Blogging my way through wedding planning, crafts, life and all the unexpected events in between.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Funday Monday

Happy Monday! 

I've been a busy crafter this past week/weekend. 

On the agenda is St. Patrick's Day. 

I'm marrying into an Irish family and Mr. ST is very proud of this fact.  We have a smattering of decorations around the house.  I particularly love wreaths for the front door - I feel like they make a home very welcoming.  In true crafty style I had to make one (why on Earth would I buy one in a store and make it easy?)  and Mr. ST put the rule out that I had to use things from the Lair - I was not allowed to buy things to make this wreath.  FINE.  Challenge accepted.

1. I started with this garland style shamrock shape.  (Do you like the homemade easel it hangs on?  Thanks Pops.)


2. Took out my go to wreath making material - Geo Mesh or Deco Mesh.   It's used in flower displays and for making flower arrangements.  It's AMAZING for outside decor because it can get wet/withstand weather. I used two shades of green.


3. I cut long pieces of the mesh.  It's very pliable, but sometimes can have a mind of it's own.  Very much like wrestling with an octopus.  I prefer to cut it into sections so it's easier to handle.


4. I took pipe cleaners that I cut in half and worked them onto the wire frame of the shamrock.  I used this to anchor the geo-mesh.


5. Back of the shamrock.  Light green was done first, dark green second.  About 3/4 of the way done here.


6. I hung a sign at the bottom. I REALLY wanted a big bow at the top but being as I was not allowed to buy anything and had no themed ribbon I went sans bow.  Not too bad for materials in the Lair.


7. Hanging on the dark green front door. :-)  I think I met the challenge rather well. 


And of course, since my creativeness is inherited and I've got many great family teachers - my Aunt K's geo-mesh wreath.  See her AMAZING bow - jealous.  I might just have to sneak out and get a spool or two this week.... ;-)

5 comments:

The Vintage Modern Bride said...

i love your wreath! so cute and creative!

Unknown said...

What a great wreath...you and your aunt have great skills. Love your blog! :)

Tiff For Tat said...

What a wonderful wreath. I wish I had half of your crafting skills. Your wedding will be so amazing with all the details.

Mandy Beyeler said...

Thanks for linking up to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - I featured you today! - Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

Kathy said...

Wow! Can't wait to see what you end up doing for a Spring/Easter Wreath. Love that geo mesh stuff!